Saturday, April 3, 2010

SPRING HAS SPRUNG!



It is spring finally here in Iowa. I know this not just because it is the beginning of April but by the singing of the birds and the small buds forming on the trees. I have waited - not so patiently I must confess for the heavy layers of snow to melt away so I can get a glimpse of my garden that I started last year. This being the first winter for my plantings I must admit to being more than a little concerned for their safety - the snow fall was brutal this year and made worse by the layers of ice that seemed to proceed every significant pounding of snow.





I am so happy to report that my boxwood are beautiful and my losses (4 bushes) are minimum. I will happily take those few causalities since I am fairly certain they are more from the drainage issues of last summer than the brutality of the winter storms. But my successes don't stop there: my strawberries plants are alive and without uncovering them from their protective blanket of straw prematurely I think they look amazing! I am so impressed by their ability to weather the harshness of the winter. They seem so fragile out there, where everything else is brown and bleak they are showing vibrant shades of green.

Year two is going to be exciting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment